Famous prayers - Thomas Merton

This prayer of Thomas Merton has always struck me as essentially very human and very honest.

Prayer of Thomas Merton

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it.

Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and will never leave me to face my perils alone.

May God's blessing be with you.

5 comments

  1. Anonymous  

    20 March 2009 at 23:24

    strikes a chord - so pleased to have read it

  2. Understanding Alice  

    21 March 2009 at 13:02

    yep, thats bout the size of it. :)

    Im reading The Shack at the moment, turns out its as profound as people say it is. this prayer reminds me of it.

  3. Anonymous  

    22 March 2009 at 00:14

    Yes - I loved The Shack too. Not a literary masterpiece but some wonderful insights into the nature of God.
    Kath

  4. Anonymous  

    1 April 2009 at 23:36

    Everyone in the world seems to be reading 'the shack'....I thought it was brilliant and so many one liners. My fav is about God not 'justifying but redeeming'

    My friends ahve had bad reactions and they cannot understand a God who allows suffering because of two people years ago in the garden.
    I struggle with trying to explain what I believe.

  5. Kath Williamson  

    1 April 2009 at 23:40

    I think we all struggle - with what we believe and with explaining it. But its a rewarding struggle.